Many things caused me to smile on this very American holiday. Here are just a few of them:
– hearing stories told boisterously and enthusiastically by my 86-year-old grandfather
– watching my sister serve as an amazing hostess to a house full of people
– discussing meaningful topics with my uncle; and his sincere, genuine interest in exploring them
– checking in on my sweetie intermittently throughout the day, and finding him completely at ease with various family members every single time
– learning more about the adult person my “little” cousin has now become
– eating delicious food (made from scratch!) by my brother-in-law
– gaining new insights from my aunt’s point of view
– witnessing how exceptionally well my mom performs the art of inclusion (and making mental notes so that I might emulate some of her positive behaviors)
– feeling the quiet-but-attentive presence of my dad – and delighting in how similar I am to him
And this is by no means an all-inclusive list.
Seriously, how lucky am I?
(Answer: Ridiculously lucky.)