A little oxygen makes a big difference

Yesterday afternoon my sweetie and I returned from a multi-day out-of-town trip, so this morning I left the house early to get groceries and re-stock our refrigerator.  When I returned around 9:30 am, my husband informed me that he was awoken by the sound of our carbon monoxide detector blaring.

Hmm, that’s not good… My sweetie informed me that he re-set the alarm, and that it hadn’t gone off since, so everything must be fine.  Hmm…. Let’s make a call to the gas company, anyway.  My husband agreed that was probably a good idea, so after we put the groceries away I phoned our state gas provider.

I explained to the customer service representative why I was calling, and after listening to my 10-second summary, he said very calmly, “Okay, what I’m going to do is transfer you to our emergency line.  Can you please hold while I do that?”  Um, sure, I guess.  But it’s not really an emer—- Too late; he was gone, and I was on hold.

Not ten seconds later, a new agent was on the line with me – but he was a wee bit more intense than representative #1.  He peppered me with questions like “Is anyone in the house nauseous, vomiting, or unconscious?”  Um, no.  “Is anyone in the house experiencing burning eyes, difficulty breathing, or seizures?”  Good lord, no!  “If we get to your house and you don’t answer, do you give us permission to call a locksmith, the police, and/or emergency services as necessary?”  Do I really have a choice?  “Nope, not really.  Open all the windows to your house, and wait outside; we’ll be there within 20 minutes.”

Yikes; I guess this whole thing could be pretty serious.

Long story short: A technician came out to our house, and inspected all of the various gas appliances/devices we own (i.e., furnace, oven/range, water heater, and clothes dryer).  He didn’t find any leaks inside, but he did find a tiny little bit of carbon monoxide in our garage.  He explained that since we had opened all of the windows in the house, we had effectively cleared all of the spaces of any potential CO build-up.  Which is good; except it means that he couldn’t find anything to address.  His advice: Plug the CO detector back in.  If it sounds again, leave the house closed up, but also leave the house.  Call the gas company from our cell phone, from a safe location.  With the house closed, if there is a CO issue, he will be more successful in finding it.  But really, he didn’t think there was anything to worry about.  Probably just a little exhaust from the car this morning that drifted inside.

So.  Why I am I writing about all of this here on the blog?  What is “smile-worthy” about a potentially serious issue?  A few things, actually:

  • The response of both my sweetie and I kind of cracks me up.  He and I were both pretty laid-back, putting away groceries before we decided to maybe pick up the phone and  give the ol’ gas company a ring… Our blasé attitude about a potentially life-threatening situation makes me laugh at the both of us.
  • Customer service agent #2 made me smile.  Yes, my sweetie and I were pretty relaxed about everything; but seriously, if one (or both) of us were vomiting, seizing, or worse, I think we might be a little more, um, anxious about the whole deal.  The contrast between what the agent asked and the reality of our experience was amusing to me.
  • While waiting for the technician to arrive at our home, I did have a few moments where I commented to my sweetie, “You know, if – God forbid – both you and I died today, it probably would have gone unnoticed until Monday, when we didn’t show up at work.  And even then, our co-workers might assume we just took an extra day of vaca or something; I wonder when we might have been discovered?”  Reflecting on the reality of my own mortality made me appreciate life a bit more today.  Yes, I’m sick today (just a yucky cold); but congested and tired is much better than dead.  Comparing and contrasting the two possible states made me chuckle out loud.  Like there is any comparison.

One tiny little molecule can make a ginormously big difference in life.  I’m grateful I came out ahead today.

Stef

Advertisements

About Stef

A "serious" gal who is trying to remember to lighten up and smile.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A little oxygen makes a big difference

  1. John Aughey says:

    I don’t think the police would take us seriously if we suspected foul play because the smile blog wasn’t updated in a few days.

    Like

  2. Jenny says:

    Glad everything is ok! I just HAD to comment on your third bullet…that your co-workers wouldn’t notice until Monday. I would have been calling you up today if a blog post was missing 🙂 Miss you lots and cant wait to have you back next week! Hope your cold goes away soon!

    Like

    • Stef says:

      Aw, thanks hon! I didn’t mean it as a slight (i.e., that coworkers wouldn’t notice an absence until Monday) – I just meant that most people usually explain unexpected things away in our own minds. (“They’re probably just on vaca… they might be having computer issues… wow, she must have been extra-busy today…” etc.) 🙂 But I appreciate knowing that you’d check in on me (seriously!). Thanks lady!

      And yeah, cold is on the mend; just s-l-o-w-l-y. *sigh* But oh well; could be worse. 🙂

      Like

  3. Touch2Touch says:

    Yes, congested and tired definitely trumps dead.
    Glad it was basically a false alarm, Stef!

    Like

Have a thought, opinion, comment? I'd love to read it!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s