At 7 am today the outdoor air temperature was negative 19 degrees Fahrenheit (negative 28 degrees Celsius). This was the actual, literal, “for real” temperature. The warmest the air got today was 4 degrees Fahrenheit (negative 15 degrees Celsius) – and that was at 4 pm. Despite the bitter, biting, cruel cold (or perhaps because of it?), my day was filled with small gratitudes, including:
- my car starting on the first try, and running all day long.
- the garage door opening after only two false starts.
- I have a well-built, structurally sound home that can handle tough winds.
- I have a warm home to live in; and that I can afford to heat it to a comfortable temperature – even on these wicked cold days.
- I have access to as much hot tea and coffee as my stomach (and bladder) can handle.
- my job doesn’t require me to be exposed to this difficult weather.
And I suspect I could keep this list going; but for now, this is enough to get me smiling. : )