Most blogs that I read are moderately personal ventures. Sure, there are blogs that exist solely for the purposes of marketing, PR, sales, politics, and other such purposes… but I don’t visit those online spaces. I read blogs to learn more about the passions and interests of other people – from cooking, to writing poetry, to taking pictures, to exploring how to live life more fully…
But even though the blogs I read are crafted by amateur writers who generally employ a personal voice, these slices of space sometimes don’t disclose many details about their author. For example, does the writer speed when they drive? What is their favorite comfort food? Is their morning beverage of choice coffee, tea, soda, milk, water, or something else? So many questions…
Last evening I was catching up on some blogs that I have gotten behind in reading, when I found a post from one of my online pals tucked away deep in the recesses of my inbox. Somehow it slid past my eyes a full two months ago (!) – and it shared fun and random details about one of my fellow online writers. I was intrigued and delighted to read through her personal preferences (her favorite book, games she played as a child, etc.); and at the end of 11 questions, she invited anyone interested to answer 11 new questions that she crafted – and then generate 11 more for others to respond to.
Since turnabout is fair play, and since some folks might be interested in learning more about me, here are my responses to the 11 questions that my blogging pal Judith posed:
1) What book have you always wanted to read, but still haven’t gotten around to?
Generally speaking, the things that I really want to do, I do. So there isn’t some book sitting on my shelf that I am just clamoring to read; but there are books sitting there that I feel like I should read – and I haven’t gotten around to several of those. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, The Joy of Cooking, Simple Abundance, the Bible…)
2) What classic book do you feel is overrated? Why?
Anything by Charles Dickens. From Great Expectations to A Tale of Two Cities, they all completely bored me to tears. (And for the record, I was [am] an excellent student, a very academic individual, and an avid reader – yet I still don’t understand why Dickens is so revered…)
3) What is your favorite movie adaptation of a book? Least favorite?
I generally don’t watch movies (I can list on one hand movies I have seen in the past 5 years [Moneyball, Forks Over Knives, Inception, Up In The Air, Amelie]), and as a general rule I don’t watch movies that have been adaptations of books. If I’ve read a book and like it, I don’t want the movie to ‘ruin’ it for me. And if I’ve read a book and didn’t like it, why would I want to sit through a movie version of it?
4) Where is your favorite place to write?
I have two: 1) My kitchen table; 2) the public library.
5) Pen or pencil or other?
Pencil for math, pen for general writing, Sharpies occasionally (just to mix things up).
6) What was your favorite toy as a child?
I had a very small stuffed puppy that was light brown and dark brown, and its head fit perfectly in the palm of my little kid hand. I carried that puppy around everywhere until I was around 4 years old; he was a big source of comfort for me.
7) What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
Being a decent wife to an amazing man.
8) If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one ability or quality, what would it be?
While being invisible and being able to fly would both be tremendous fun, I think the ability to stop (and start) time would be much more powerful and useful.
9) What are five songs you hate to admit you love?
I try to not hate any part of myself. No ‘embarrassing’ songs immediately come to mind; I generally like “old” music (i.e., anything from Bo Diddley and Ma Rainey, to Elvis, to The Beatles); but I also like semi-contemporary artists like U2, Greenday, and REM…just depends on the day and my mood…
10) Where is your dream destination (or place you’ve always wanted to go)?
My list is long and eclectic: Africa, Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, Australia, Central America… Basically, any place I haven’t yet seen is a place I want to go. 🙂
11) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
I don’t have a bucket list; instead, I have a 101 list. 😉
And now, here are 11 different questions that anyone who wants to play along is invited to answer. If you have a blog, feel free to answer these in your personal space (and leave a comment here with a link to your post so that everyone can read it); if you don’t have a blog but still want to play, go ahead and submit your response as a comment below. Either way, I’d love to learn more about ya. 🙂
- Do you speed when you drive? If so, generally how far over the limit do you travel?
- What is your favorite food to eat when you’re not feeling well? Do you eat this food at other times, or only when you’re sick?
- What is your morning beverage of choice?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- Are you a dog person or a cat person? (Or some other animal person?)
- What is the first birthday you really remember? What stands out about it?
- Who is one person that has had a significant impact on your life?
- Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you typically dream in color or B/W; with sound or without; of fantastical things or about more mundane items…?
- What sound do you love?
- What is your favorite household chore? Least favorite?
- What is one thing (or more) you’re proud of about yourself?